Thursday, February 4, 2010

Inspiration Discussion

I enjoyed the Inspiration video, it was very helpful in teaching how to use the software. It even showed how teachers can use this in the classroom. As an English/ Secondary Education major I can see several reasons why teachers would use the Inspiration software in their classrooms. I would use the Inspiration software in my classroom so that it can be easier on the students to start their writing assignments. I would have them do a diagram, or an outline so that they can brainstorm and put their thoughts together. Also, I know from experience that the first words a person puts on a paper are the hardest to find. Maybe if the students had a way to organize their thoughts, before they started to write, they would be able to start a paper without a problem. In using this software in my classroom, maybe my student's papers will be more organized and thought out instead of the first thing they put on paper. I really believe the Inspiration software should be added to every schools lesson plans.


When I finish college I am planning to be an English teacher, so technology plays an important role in my lesson plan. The main way I plan to use techonology is with essays. All of my students essays are going to be typed, but I also plan to have a blog with daily writing assignments, such as journals, and short writing prompts. This is suppose to promote students to start thinking and to help them with their writing skills. I will also have the student's classmates comment on the different entries so that they will know exactly where they need to improve. As my teaching time is limited, and I do not have the time to look at their essays twice I will have my students do peer review. Sometimes this might be in class, or they will upload their essays onto the blog and their classmates will read and revise their essays. This way it saves me some teaching time, and this can also help the students with their writing skills. In recalling the last time I had to teach a class, I remember I did not know the material very well. I was nervous because I did not think I was going to get the idea across to the class. Once, I was finished they knew the material and I knew the lesson better as well. This is usually how things happen for me, reinforcing a certain area of a lesson helps me to understand exactly what is being taught.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with most of what you are saying. I am also an English/Literature major for secondary education. However, don't you think if your students post their essays on their blogs, it will be easy for others to copy? That would be my only concern. But I do think that asking them to write on their blog like a daily journal is very creative and something I might consider! Thanks for the creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also want to have a class blog similar to what you're talking about. I think it would be a good way to save time in class but also allow students to review each other's work.

    To what Ashley said, students could copy, but as a teacher if you're reading their responses and comments, you would probably notice that most of the time. Also, you usually get an idea of how each person writes, and you might be able to tell if a student is writing in a way they usually don't in class or something. But if it was something like a journal, it would be more of a personal response and students may not feel the need to copy.

    ReplyDelete