Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Week 7

I believe that as educators we should find ways to get are students interested in what they are learning. That means that we have to use the technologies that our students are use to. When I become a teacher I plan to utilize any technologies that are avaliable to me. My students are of the technology generation, and most likely will be the only thing they will respond to.

I think that online chats and instant messaging can be of use in a classroom (to a point). When the teacher is teaching the students something new in the classroom it can be a distraction. They will want to be chatting with their friends instead of paying attention to the lesson. When students are working on homework in the classroom I think online chat can be helpful. They will be able to discuss things with their classmates, and with me. It is a fast and easy way of answering questions without having the student feel embarrassed to come and ask me a question.

I think there are benefits to asynchronous communication over sychronous. The most beneficial situation is one that I have already mentioned. It is a faster way to answer questions and the students do not have to feel embarrassed by coming up and asking me a question. I know that some students express themselves better through technology rather than face-to-face communication. However, I am still more of a fan of sychronous communication, I believe that it is the better way to explain things to students.

I believe that podcasting is just a newer version of passively delievering information. Podcasting is basically the same as teaching the information, so why not actually be in front of a class teaching. I am not saying it is not a good way for them to review the information, but I am a firm believer of actually being in front of a class to teach information. I believe that it is the best way to learn a particular lesson.

When a student plays videogames I believe that it can help in their studying. It depends on the type of videogame because some games don't require any thought at all, while others are more strategy related. These types of videogames help the student think which helps them get their brain going. The most important skill we can gain from videogames is time managment. The students cannot sit around and play videogames all day when they have homework. In order for them to get everything done they have to manage their time better. I agree with the article on some things. I especially agree that videogames help students intergrate content around other subjects, and depending on the game it can help them learn the material. As I said earlier my students will be more technology oriented and they need technology to keep them entertained in the lesson. When I have children it will be up to them whether they want to play videogames or not everyday. I want them to be able to learn how to manage their time more efficiently and to be able to think on their own. The only time I will say something is when I notice they are spending too much time playing videogames.

April Brown

1 comment:

  1. April,

    I am the one who falls in love with technology. I love to communicate with people via technology such as chat room.

    I totally agree with you that technology is good for some students who do not want to ask an instructor questions by face-to-face. I am one of them.

    Good job! :)

    CK

    ReplyDelete